What is classic contemporary interior design: maake explains
We explained what is classic contemporary interior design and how it can make you a seasoned classic contemporary interior designer
Classic contemporary style is a classic, timeless office or home décor style that takes elements of both traditional and modern design. It uses clean lines, focuses on function and is subtly beautiful yet chic at the same time.
This style of décor is a great choice because of its versatility and timeless quality. While trends are exciting and innovative, classic contemporary design is simpler, more enduring and uncluttered. There is no need for trends.
It’s recognisable for being effortless, with minimal elements and neutral tones. Furniture is functional, with lots of storage solutions thrown in. And textures also play an ingenious role.
For over a century, people have yearned for a style like this one for their home, which is functional, efficient and simple at the same time. Think minimal and effortless with beautiful clean lines.
The secret to what is classic contemporary interior design
Mixing a modern interior with classic pieces of furniture isn’t easy. You have to come up with the perfect ratio to get the look to work. While classic design is elegant, timeless and reasonably predictable, modern interior design is minimalistic, space conscious and full of surprises.
Both have a distinct look and feel and are unique in their own ways.
Combining the two takes artistry. You have to give every element its own place in the design.
Read on to find out how to do this…
What is classic contemporary interior design style?
So what is classic contemporary interior design style? It's unchanging, enduring and traditional. It’s something that will withstand the test of time.
Classic furniture pieces are often made from precious materials – exquisite woods like oak and mahogany, or marble and ceramics, copper, silver and bronze. These luxurious pieces are used with a soft, often neutral palette including grey, white and beige.
How to make modern classic interiors
Taking classic style and modernising it involves mixing modern elements with classic furniture pieces. These pieces are as elegant and beautiful as timeless furniture, but stand on their own as works of art.
Modernising the look involves doing various different things, from adding brighter colours and bolder patterns in fabric for soft furnishings to bringing in bright shades that add a happy surprise element.
Use avant-garde choices here, in both colours, materials and styles of furniture design. That’s how you can make the modern element shine through.
What is classic contemporary interior design style when it's contemporary?
The best interior for a contemporary style is all about simplicity, clean lines, texture and sophistication. Spacious interiors are filled with modern, current furniture and accessories.
In a contemporary living room, for instance, you’ll find art pieces that take your breath away, simple furnishings and fabrics in pops of colour, and crisp, clean surfaces.
Although often considered impersonal, contemporary style is fresh and radiant.
It’s in complete contrast to classic design, which shows off beautifully made pieces of furniture with incredible detail – the opposite of minimalism.
What is classic contemporary interior design style and how to create it
What is classic contemporary interior design style in its refined form? It lets you reflect your own personality by using carefully chosen, hand-crafted pieces. Select contemporary style from furnishings that are statement-making. You can also play with contrast, space and light to achieve a seamless, stylish, enduring look.
The style classic contemporary effortlessly blends classic and contemporary design to create a unique, individual effect that reflects the inhabitants’ lifestyle and personalities.
Classic contemporary furniture style is a perfect blend of old and new, traditional and innovative and the neutral color palette is made more exciting with the addition of unusual hues.
The result is a unique blend of modern classic international design and timeless pieces as well as traditional and elegant spaces that are as innovative as they are beautiful.
What is classic contemporary interior design style key aspects for your home
Read this carefully – and then apply to your own design ethic and create your signature look in your home or office:
1. Colour palette
· The secret here is to find eye-catching hues.
· Keep colours light and neutral – like shades of grey, taupe and beige. If the room has plenty of neutral light, you can opt for richer neutral tones to give a cosy effect.
· Texture is also important – in the paint on the walls and on the soft furnishings (curtains, carpets, cushions on sofas in the living room). Textured wallpaper is a great way to add texture, or play with panels, plaster or moulding to create your own special effect.
2. Room furnishings
· No matter what type of furniture you choose, make sure to pick quality pieces that are timeless and beautiful with clean lines.
· The trick is in the fabrics, so make sure that you choose luxurious ones – cotton, linen, leather, velvet or a blend of these.
· Make sure that fabric patterns remain subtle and classy. Or use piping in a contrasting color for a very dramatic effect.
· Avoid large designs or patterns with too many colours. In a pattern, choose a neutral background with subtle colours, or a solid color with a stunning texture.
· Remember: fabric patterns don’t have to match, but they do need to go together and have a soft, muted effect. So make sure to either keep a neutral palette with different patterns on the fabrics, or keep them simple by using plain colours.
· You want the design element to be versatile, and this is easier to achieve if you choose soft, neutral hues and add accessories and furniture in different styles.
· Keep to plain designs where possible, to add a minimalistic touch. Then add decorative details for a surprise – carved wood, brass, nickel or other shiny finishes for extra effect.
3. Lighting effects
The way you light up a room once the sun sets will give you different effects. Choose luxurious, soft, sumptuous lamps and pendant lighting that reflects beautifully and create a warm, comforting atmosphere.
During the day, allow in plenty of natural light that shows off every element in the room – furniture, accessories, plants, artworks, you name it.
4. Styling secrets
· Avoid clutter with this design style. Remember: less is always more.
· When you display items on a sideboard, book shelf or mantelpiece, group 3 to 5 items in all – no more. Display these as a group and make sure they contain various different textures, colours and lengths/heights.
· Add plenty of greenery, either artificial or natural plants and branches for freshness and vitality. A beautiful bunch of flowers in a simple vase is another great addition.
· Sure, you want beautiful artworks on the walls, but make sure the frames are just as exquisite. You can add colour and texture in the frames and change these to completely alter the décor look.
· Carpets and rugs are cosy and warming – and cushions invite you to relax and get comfortable. So add plenty of both.
· Even if you do use carpets, make sure the floors also have a story to tell. You can add warmth with different coloured floorboards – say light to mid-timber, depending on the look you’re trying to achieve.
· Monochrome (black and white) is both modern and classic – so play with this in pictures and objects d’art.
· Windows are there to give light and fresh air. And you can also use them to frame the outdoors. Bringing the outdoors inside is always a delight – floor to ceiling windows do this beautifully, but even if it’s a small window, it can create another dimension if you can see what’s going on outside.
· While curtains warm up a room beautifully, you don’t want them to be the main focus of the room. They must frame the windows without overpowering them. And they must let the light in – except when you close them.
· Window treatments like Venetian blinds and roller blinds can give privacy and let in just a little light, depending on the room and what effect you’re trying to achieve.
It’s time to get creative with classic contemporary interiors
Take note of what we’ve said here, and make sure that you use fabrics in the most innovative way possible to create this stunning, simple design ethic. Why not design your own?