Inspiring Christmas designs for the Festive Season
Christmas designs should be all about abundance. There's no shortage of love, colour and happiness. And there are plenty of celebrations. And let's not forget the huge selection of fabulous colourful decorations to make us revel in the holiday atmosphere.
We’ve put together some inspiring ideas for Christmas designs to help you make this festive holiday a colourful, memorable one. Looking for gift wrapping ideas? Or searching for tips on how to decorate a festive table? You'll find them here.
Happy holiday themes for Christmas designs
Choose a set theme and colour palette to complete the holiday including everything from table decor to the Christmas tree. Here are a few choices:
A traditional, classic theme never goes out of style. It’s all about making memories in a warm, inviting, cheerful setting. If your family likes traditional Christmas decorations, stick to those.
Keep your theme charming, simple and authentic. Stick to red, green, white and silver or gold Christmas decorations. These shades are superb.
Play with matte and gloss, pure colours and lots of shine. Choose sumptuous fabrics like velvet and satin for sheen and depth. Make it warm and comforting. Celebrate this special day in style.
A little bit country
Natural accents – wood, plenty of green, natural flowers, dried fruit and pine cones – add a rural touch.
If you like, add a few traditional animals to the mix – a reindeer or two, birds, mice and other forest friends. It’s a little whimsical and very charming.
Soft, sparkling wintry scenes symbolise romance and fairy tales. Keep the fantasy alive with soft touches of colour. Try delicate blues and pastel pinks with touches of frost and silver for a stunning effect.
Create a tranquil winter wonderland that echoes the outdoors but also warms the heart and soul. Use soft shades of cream and white and pretty patterns that depict nature to create a cosy, enveloping, warmth.
Christmas is full of memories – both reminiscing about past seasons and making new ones.
Choose a theme that reflects this: perhaps some gingerbread men or colourful wooden puppets. Add lots of red, white and green.
And now for some different Christmas designs
Add a touch of personality that sets the theme apart. Perhaps you choose psychedelic colours, or some neon hues.
Everybody loves a surprise, so use an unusual theme and create some magic. It will brighten up the day and create a welcome talking point.
Festive colour choices in Christmas designs
Before you choose a Christmas design, think about a colour. Here's some inspiration:
- White: Frost and snowscapes are always gorgeous.
- Shades of green: Nothing says Christmas quite like a splash of greenery.
- Sparkly metallics: These are always fabulous and festive. Choose gold, silver, graphite or metallic reds, blues or greens.
- Jewel colours: Start with shades of purple, from soft lavender to a pretty plum or brilliant jewel tone. This will brighten up any festive Christmas table decorations. Use the same idea with shades of green (pick any green, from mint to emerald green, and everything in between).
You could also use the colour blue the same way. These look stunning with any metallic.
- Neutral tones: These shades look gorgeous with white, cream, silver and woody hues. Or mix terracotta with gold for a different take.
- Monochrome: Black and white always has a place, even in Christmas designs. Add touches of grey and silver or pewter for a festive feel. Mix it up with a black and white plaid, or choose a sophisticated houndstooth design.
Velvet is a great choice for a sumptuous, wintry feel. If you want to add a pop of colour, choose a forest green and a bright crimson or berry.
- Innovative combinations: Mix bright colours with metallics for a modern look. We're considering cobalt blue and silver, or gold and pink. For something completely different, take frosty white or silver and mix with mint green and a touch of soft blue.
Personal Christmas designs for gifts
The personal touch never goes out of fashion. It's a good idea to personalise your gifts and Christmas cards this year. Choose a pattern the person will love and take a look at hand-made Christmas gift ideas.
It's your chance to create something special. What's more? You can personalize it for no additional costs! It’s far nicer than buying a gift. Here are some exquisite patterns from our library of exclusive designs:
Browse our Design Library and customise your gift
Say 'I love you' with a gift you've made yourself. Delight family and friends with some simple crafts this Christmas. Here's some inspiration:
- Bake biscuits or cook up some delicious fudge.
- Make a garland or wreath out of nuts, dried fruit, some pine cones and greenery.
- Choose the fabric and the pattern from our great selection and sew some gorgeous Christmas bed linen.
- Hand-craft a few ornaments to decorate the Christmas tree.
- Knit a scarf, a hat or a pair of gloves for someone you love.
- Paint a picture – better yet, get the kids to paint a picture and have it framed.
Wrap it up
Make your gift wrap extra special with a unique pattern or design from our fabulous selection! Let your gift wrap do double duty! Choose a pretty fabric item (we suggest a throw, tea towel or kitchen towel from our range at maakehome).