The definitive summer colours fabric guide
We’ve changed our attitude towards summer colours in the past few years. Today, everything goes for cool summer color. It’s all about freedom of expression. You can experiment at whim with colour and patterns and how you combine them.
For the coming summer months, we’re keen to find different ways of expressing ourselves and our personal styles by using different cool fabrics and colours. Clothes are free, cool against the skin, light and bright.
No matter whether they are organic or synthetic, summer fabrics are comfortable, cool and easy to wear. For summer, the palette of colour is mid-range and soft. In the heat, every shade goes in a palette – colours from sea green to soft grey, rose brown and those with touches of a blue undertone (for instance, softer shades of grey including blue grey). For something different, why not choose the colours that represent an English country garden palette that will make the skin glow?
It's exciting to be able to express ourselves the way we want to with colours in the new summer season. Actually, it doesn't matter whether you prefer a neutral palette or neon colours, muted or in between for summer. The color analysis for summer includes a variety of individual choices, offering you the freedom to be yourself and use the soft colours you love best.
Fashion: colour for a summer wardrobe
Individual choices don’t stop there… according to Vogue France, fashion is just as versatile these days. Analysis of fashion trends for spring and summer 2023 offered endless color and style possibilities. For the summer season, the style emphasis is on cool skin and hair and easy style.
Sof summer shades and colours abound, from sunset tones to baby blue. Or go for beige nuances that look wonderful against a tanned skin tone or colouring or a darker skin color. Think about how popular those colors are for ash blonde hair and hair highlights! These beige colors are offset by bright neon for the more adventurous and for those who have a natural dark skin tone and light-coloured hair.
Styling is fluid and free to ensure you can keep looking cool in appearance all summer long. The summer style list includes plenty of denim, transparent fabrics and, for a complete contrast, try more than a touch of Goth (black and shades of dark grey).
Cool summer colours for clothes
The kaleidoscope of cool summer shades and colours include Pantone colour of the year, Viva Magenta. This powerful, empowering color is full of exuberance, joy and optimism. What’s more, this beautiful summer colour will make your tanned skin and light hair glow!
Other gorgeous cool colors in the colour palette for summer include a tranquil blue, Verdigris, lavender and sunset hues of reds and corals. These colours are mid range and offset a tanned or dark skin beautifully, especially when someone also has light hair, golden hair highlights or blond hair.
Nature and sustainability are important, both for hot summers and for when the temperature cools down. There are plenty of earthy, natural cool summer shades and colours and palette choices – greens and brown colors muted with a subtle addition of shiny gold. And you'll find that delicate, fresh summer colors also make their mark in the warmer season, with an abundance of summer’s gorgeous florals in a variety of muted and bright colors.
For inspiration on fabrics to choose for summer clothes, read our guide on The Best Fashion Fabric Choices in the UK.
Fashion: summer fabrics
Summer fabrics are cool, calm and collected, and there's a distinct focus on sustainability. Think recycled polyester (rPET), Tencel, lurex and viscose. The wardrobe choices are endless.
You’ll find diaphanous materials for summers, both day and night, light textiles that caress the skin. There's a wide selection of quality fabrics, too. Some of these are only summer-worthy, whilst others will see you through the winter season, too.
Denim is always popular for summer days. Choose coolness and softness for your wardrobe in light washed denim fabrics in soft colors that are sustainable and fresh on the skin in summers.
After careful analysis we have come up with the best fabric selection for a sustainable summer wardrobe. These include authentic materials and recycled ones as well as fabrics used to make utility wear.
A smart summer wardrobe outfit features delicate, fresh materials like soft satin and pretty organza that brush softly against the skin no matter the colors you choose. Add a flash or silver, grey or black sparkle to your wardrobe and you’re good to go.
Hunt for cool summer color for interior design
Like fashion, the interior décor color hunt is all about freedom of choice and expressing your personal style with colours and fabrics. Similarly, the season’s summer palette of colour leans towards fresh colors that offer a cosy, comfortable environment. This palette for summer is created by using textured eco-friendly, sustainable fabrics.
- Popular summer hues and colours choices for keeping the interior cool include white and muted grey, plenty of gorgeous green and earthy hues.
- Experiment with a contrast of rich color palette choices. These look great as a winter contrast, too.
- Try graphic or contrast prints in different muted colours, even grey, for an interesting mix.
- Don’t forget gorgeous pink colors that celebrate Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2023, Viva Magenta – a palette that is great for walls, carpets and soft furnishings.
When it comes to choosing fabrics for interior design for summers, read our guide on The Best Fabrics for Décor and Design now!
Light to medium summer hues for interior design fabrics
Whether they are modern, maximalist or minimalist, homes are a true flection of their inhabitants. Summer season décor is functional, versatile and easy to live in as well as gorgeous to look at. Here’s some tips for cool, light summer décor fabric for summers ahead:
- Choose natural fabrics that are soft, cosy, light and cool, with a stylish edge. Most of all, make sure they are sustainable.
- Real fabrics like cotton and linen are cool, light, hard wearing and beautiful. And recycled materials are all the rage. There are also bio-based textiles such as vegan leather, which offers a dramatic contrast.
- Pure fibres also create wonderful texture in carpets, curtains, couches and armchairs.
- Texture is all-important: bring the outside indoors with cool fabrics and accessories (cork, wood, rattan that are in complete contrast to softer fabric choices). Handmade woven fabrics are especially popular.
Playing with patterns
- Play with pattern in various colors that represent summers past and present. Anything goes with patter, from a timeless design to something more modern. Layer gorgeous materials in different patterns and colors like stripes and checks for a rich, individual effect.
- When it comes to pattern, remember: large designs are great for bed headboards, chairs and rugs. Pair with curtains, cushions and lampshades featuring small patterns.
Colour true summer with maake
Your colour true light summer clothing and summer season color choices for your home are as individual as you are. After doing some intense analysis on colour, we’ve added some of Pantone’s colours suggestions for cool summer colours to inspire you.
And we’ve added a stunning selection of summer family of designs from our exclusive library for inspiration. Once you’ve checked them out, why not read our comprehensive list of our top choices for The Coolest Fabrics for the Summer Season. This is a good helper, something to keep for summers to come.
Pantone fabric summer shade selection:
- Blue Perennial: Stand-out blue.
- Summer Song: Tranquil light blue shade.
- Skylight: Pure, cleansing aqua.
- Vanilla Cream: Soft, creamy and delectable tone.
- Gray Lilac: A dreamy, light mix of lilac and gray.
- Leek Green: Subtle vegetable shade.
- Macchiato: Coffee with a light foam.
Pantone summer choices:
- Fiery Red: Super-charged red tone with an energetic intensity.
- Beetroot Purple: Bold fuchsia shade.
- Classic Green: Nourishing green hue.
- Crystal Rose: Clear, modern romantic light rose pink.
- Tangelo: Tangy, tasty orange.
- Peach Pink: Warm, nurturing peach tone.
- Empire Yellow: luminescent, joyful colour.
- Love Bird: A lively, exotic green.
maake’s light summer fabric choices
When it comes to natural summer light fabrics, we’ve covered all the bases for cool summer colours for interior design and fashion clothing. Take a look at some of our summer materials that caress the skin or keep you cool at home:
- Active Eco Lycra: Polyester and elastane fabric used for swimwear, active wear and accessories.
- Organic Blossom Muslin Gauze: 100% cotton textile certified safe for children. Versatile and used for kids clothes.
- Organic Lily Jersey: 93% GOTS cotton, 7% elastane. Light cotton jersey with a 4-way stretch. Used for T-shirts, leggings and kids clothing.
- Poppy Lycra Jersey: 89% cotton, 11% elastane. Light cotton jersey ideal for kids clothing, leggings and T-shirts.
- Single Cotton Elastane Jersey: 90% cotton, 10% elastane. Fabric that’s soft against the skin. Used for kids clothing, T-shirts and leggings.
- Slub Chiffon: 96% polyester, 4% elastane Ultra-lightweight material with a floaty drape. Popular for dresses and other summer garments.
- Summer Voile: 100% polyester. Breathable fabric with a floaty, elegant drape. Popular summer fabric for dresses, blouses, skirts and accessories.
Fabrics for clothing and interior design
- Avio Cotton Mix: 95% polyester, 5% cotton. Versatile textile used for fashion garments and interior décor.
- Organic Drill Natural: 100% GOTS cotton material. The unbleached version of our Cotton Drill, which is a popular choice for homeware and clothing.
- Organic Poplin: 100% GOTS cotton. Organic version of our Cotton Poplin. Great for bedding as well as shirts and dresses.
Cool fabric for interiors
- Cotton Denim: Ideal for upholstery, accessories and crafts.
- Eco Basketweave: 100% polyester, of which 65% is recycled. Commonly used for cushions, curtains and table linen.
- Eco Linen Look: 53% recycled polyester, 5% linen and 42%polyester. Used for décor accessories by eco-conscious homeowners and designers.
- Limani Linen: A stunning blend of 10% linen and 90% cotton. Its slub yarn creates a tactile texture. Ideal for homeware and accessories.
- Melino Linen: 93% cotton, 7% linen. Light cotton/linen blend often used for curtains, homeware, tea towels and other accessories.
- Optic White Organic Panama: 100% GOTS cotton bleached material often used for curtains and cushions because of its durability.
- Organic Optic Calico: 100% cotton. The organic version of our Calico Plain Cotton, which is used extensively for interior décor. This version is excellent for cushions, curtains and light summer upholstery.
It's time to get creative!
Before you print on summer fabric with maake, read our blog on the most popular print methods. Choose which will suit you best for summers to come.
Now, upload Your Design using any cool color and pattern you wish.
And don’t forget to create perfect cool summer fabric colours by using our innovative Colour Atlas. Shop for yours here and read all about how to use the Colour Atlas to choose fabric colours correctly.